The Best Science Fiction Novellas of the Year #2 - Edited by Terry Carr

Enemy Mine by Barry Longyear. Yes, there was a movie that was pretty true to the story but the printed story is more satisfying.

The Moon Goddess and the Son by Donald Kingsbury. Diana is 6 when she learns that she is named for the moon goddess, Diana. She's 13 when she runs away from her abusive father to pursue a life on the moon. Now, how to get there?

Palely Loitering by Christopher Priest. Mykle lives in a post-technological rural society. Technology still exists, but life is simpler in a life circa 1880. One byproduct of the interstellar space program that he enjoys is Flux Channel Park, where the yesterday, today and tomorrow bridges cross the time flux fluid originally used to launch the spacecraft. He disobeys and finds himself 32 years out of his time and despite his discomfort at being lost he spies the most beautiful girl he has ever seen.

Songhouse by Orson Scott Card. Esste charges herself with finding the Emperor a songbird, a rare individual trained to vocal musical perfection. She believes Ansset has the ability but unless he can overcome his past he will never succeed.

Ker-Plop by Fred Reynolds. Cotter Orren is a "checker", responsible for inspecting incoming ships at Randar 13. The inspection process ensures that records, both ship and historical, are updated when each ship arrives. This process has not changed since before civilization almost broke down in the 'Tween Times 60 millennia ago. Most importantly, it neutralizes ship's power until the government determines if the ship or its occupants present a threat. The isolation of space travel is notorious for unleashing latent mental instabilities so Cotter's position is a delicate balance of technical skill, hazard avoidance and diplomacy. Cotter is the unfortunate soul on duty when a gigantic Anarchate ship completes its 300,000 year round trip to the Lesser Magellanic Cloud.

This book is proof of Asimov's statement that the best science fiction is about people. The science and technology plays a role but the characters take the lead in each one of these stories. I read this book the first time in August 1983 while taking part in a field exercise at the Army's National Training Center (i.e. Death Valley). What a miserable trip--one week of expected daytime temps of 130°F and nights of 60°F and then three weeks of rain and 50°F. Let me put it this way, I had popcorn in my duffel bag with plans to pop it in my mess kit but I never got the chance because it had sprouted. I can't really remember anything else I read in the Army but this book was a breath of fresh air at the time. Highly recommended if you spot a copy.

Shallowford