7. How to Train Your Dragon by Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III as translated from the Old Norse by Cressida Cowell wink - Hiccup and the other pre-teen boys of the Hooligan tribe need to obtain a young dragon and train it in order to be initiated into the tribe. Hiccup, despite being the son of the Chief, is sure he will fail. This is the story of how Hiccup became a hero, instead.

While Dreamworks made a film based on this book (or perhaps this book series), we have yet to see many similarities between the book and the film other than setting and (some) characters. This story is very entertaining, if a tad violent, brash, and... well, full of humor entertaining to boys. Needless to say, my son LOVED it. laugh My daughter thought the ending was a bit gross. I tended to side with my son in thinking that this was a nice change of pace from the princess stories we've been reading along side it. We've already checked out the next book in the series "How to be a Pirate" for our next selection.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.