35. Champion: A Legend Novel, by Marie Lu

The third and final novel in the Legend trilogy. The Colonies invade, with the help of one of the two world superpowers, Africa, seeking to impose their worldview on the Republic. Meanwhile, the Republic seeks the help of the other superpower, Antarctica, which is reluctant to help without certain concessions.

This is a very complex series, not unlike some good classic political fiction (notably, the author was inspired in part by Les Miserables). The Republic is based in part on North Korea, while the Colonies are the worst aspects of capitalism taken up to 11. The superpowers, Africa and Antarctica, remind me a bit of the United States and the Soviet Union. Nevertheless, no one is absolutely right, no one is absolutely wrong, and the dystopian countries, the Republic and the Colonies, have positive aspects in spite of themselves. Some parts of the trilogy are tearjerkers, but the ending is hopeful.

36. Lois & Clark: A Superman Novel, by C.J. Cherryh

This novel is based on the LnC TV show, though it strays somewhat from show canon. A disaster happens in Metropolis while Clark is half a world away, and Lois winds up being the hero. It's not bad, though I think I've been spoiled by reading so much good fanfic here. I might have appreciated the novel more if I'd given in to my impulse to buy and read it in the mid-90's, but I decided not to do so because I liked comic books better.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland