******SPOILERS for The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe******

Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
Additionally, the reason for his death was too vague and, well, frankly, not explained. It seemed like graphic violence for no reason at all, other than to scare the reader.
I have always heard that Aslan is a metaphor for Jesus, and that his death is a version of the Crucifixion. Of course Jesus and Aslan are both resurrected.
Yes, I have heard that as well and looked for more out of the book. Something. *Anything.* But that was about it, comparison-wise.

okay, I'll also grant that Aslan is a 'godlike' figure whom everyone (good) in Narnia admires upon meeting or hearing of him. He agrees to the White Witch's trade to save Edmund's life for his own, a) despite having created the world in The Magician's Nephew (which was more genesis-esque with the creation of Narnia and garden with the apple-tree where they once more meet the white witch, in my opinion), b) to follow the rules of a never before mentioned or explained "deep" or old magic, which frankly couldn't be older than Aslan himself (see "a") and/or the White Witch (who arrived during genesis), and c) The White Witch had absolutely no claims whatsoever that Edmund had acted as a traitor, being that she was never a rightful queen of Narnia, and because, technically, he never acted against her.

If Lewis was going for some kind of allegory, he didn't decide to do so until that point in the book, IMO. From that point in the book, the plot makes no sense, whatsoever, especially the last chapter. Although, I must say that the chapter with Aslan and the statues was pretty cool from an imagery standpoint.

Lewis describes Aslan willingly being led to his death in gristly detail for *pages*, while the death of the White Witch is only mentioned as an afterthought. OH, right, btw she's dead. :rolleyes: If it is allegorical, and you're supposed to turn the other cheek and 'do as I do', then why would Aslan killing the White Witch be acceptable? It was like Superman killing Zod. huh

So, yeah, I was disappointed. For a world-renown author, and one of his most honored books, yes, I expected better writing.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.