Originally posted by Annie B.:
For a few years, no novels were taught at all, since the textbooks had little snippets of literature that were supposed to make the kids enthusiastic about literature (I call it Literature: Twitter Style). When this turned out not to work in spite of the opinions of experts who hadn't been in a classroom in years, they started using actual novels again. (Good thing we librarians in the district had just put them away instead of getting rid of them like we were told to -- we knew they'd be needed in the future.)
Ah, "experts". It's good you proved them wrong. Literature via cribnotes doesn't work, either, I've heard. wink This librarian must wear glasses because she's really a superhero in disguise. grumble As such, the teacher wanted 120 copies, while I have a grand total of 2. (Given a couple of weeks' notice, I could probably scrounge up a class set -- not 120, but enough for the kids to use in the classroom.) Given no notice, I couldn't give them much of anything. In keeping with the dystopian theme, however, the teacher checked out a class set of Fahrenheit 451. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a good book. I read it when it was book of year in L.A. about 10 years back (I was told that L.A. chooses a book every year, which it encourages and promotes for it's citizenry to read, so they can have impromptu book club conversations with strangers while waiting for their Starbucks. Strangely enough, F451 was the only book I heard of which got this honor, and I lived in L.A. -- and worked at a bookstore -- for almost 2.5 years.) Thanks for answering my question. I'm surprised that they would pick anything so recent (Hunger Games) to read in the classroom.

I once worked in an office, where someone had a sign up in their cubical which read: "Just because you waited until the last minute, doesn't mean I'm in a hurry." In that vein, You deserve the "Just because you're unprepared, doesn't make it my fault" award. notworthy

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.