Suez listed "The Godwulf Manuscript" by Robert B. Parker, one of his early Spenser mysteries and one of the better ones. Sadly, Parker died of a heart attack earlier this month at his writing desk. Not the worst way for a scribe to leave his publisher behind.

Okay, here are my books for this year. I'm using our public library quite liberally now instead of buying books. Drat those monthly bills!

1) Born to be Wild by Catharine Coulter. A stand-alone mystery about a daytime soap-opera actress who is stalked by a scary "admirer" and who is also quite a nice all-around person. Interesting story, but the main character is too nice at the beginning and experiences lots of interesting situations but very little character growth.
2) Shakespeare's Christmas
3) Shakespeare's Trollop
4) Shakespeare's Counselor
by Charlaine Harris. Yes, the same Charlaine Harris who wrote the Sookie Stackhouse vampire books on which the HBO series "True Blood" is based. The Shakespeare books have no vampires, just real-life angst and murder. Series mystery.
5) The Blitzkreig Myth
6) The Iron Cross: Germany 1918-1945
by John Mosier. These 20th century history books claim to explain what really happened in Europe during the first and second World Wars. He buttresses his case with facts and figures and lots of footnotes, and he comes to some interesting conclusions.
7) Children of Armenia by Michael Bobelian. Documents the genocide of Armenians by the Ottoman Empire (now Turkey) in the late 19th and early 20th century and traces the consequences from the early 1920's to 2007 (publication date). Not for the squeamish, but a gripping read.
8) Life After Death: The Evidence by Dinesh D'Souza. This is one I'm going to buy and re-read every once in a while. The author makes a fascinating case that there is a large body of evidence outside any religious doctrine that death is not the end of our existence.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing