12. Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light by Tanya Huff. I think Huff is an underrated writer - I always enjoy her stories, many of which have a distinctly Canadian setting. In this early novel, Darkness tries to take over the world, starting in Toronto, and our only hope is a Circle of rather odd heroes.

13. The Fire's Stone by Tanya Huff. This was in a double edition with the previous novel. A quest novel, decent and competent.

14. Bridge of the Separator by Harry Turtledove. I enjoyed Turtledove's "Legion" series, where a Roman legion from the time of Julius Caesar was suddenly transported to another world - Videssos, which is a thinly disguised Byzantine Empire. What would have happened if the Byzantines of the 11th century had fought the fatal Battle of Manzikert with a tough Roman legion on their side? You can find out by reading the Legion series.

"Bridge of the Separator" is a prequel, giving the backstory of the major villain in the Legion series. Not as good as the Legion series, but still fun for completists.

15. Between The Rivers by Harry Turtledove. Interesting tale of life "between the rivers" (primitive Mesopotamia) where gods walk the earth and deal directly with the lives of men. And what men do in return. Turtledove has done his homework. Dialogue and situations are very consistent with what's known about Babylonia in the days of cuneiform. (As far as I know.) Worth reading.

16. The Maquisarde by Louise Marley. I get frustrated by Louise Marley because she has some good ideas but I never like the way she develops them. It's probably just me. In this book, Ebriel Serique's life is changed and she joins the Resistance. OK but not compelling. It did hold my interest long enough for me to finish it, for what that's worth.

17. Skin Trade by Laurell K. Hamilton. This next installment of the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series is, to my mind, much superior to "Blood Noir". Anita is back on the job as a Federal marshal, taking down a rogue vampire. Except who is she actually fighting, the vampire or her supposed fellow cops? And is she turning into a monster herself? Extra points for bringing back one of my favorite characters, Edward the bounty hunter.

18. Arrow's Flight by Mercedes Lackey. More comfort reading, about the land of Valdemar.

19. The Curse of Chalion and
20. Paladin of Souls
both by Lois McMaster Bujold. I've probably read these books about fifteen times each and come away with something new to think about every time. Superficially about removing a curse from the royal family ("Chalion") or finding a new purpose for one's life ("Paladin"), in actuality the books are thought-provoking meditations about courage, duty, honor, and love. And they're good stories, too. It's obvious why "Paladin" won the 2004 Hugo and "Chalion" came in second for the 2002 Hugo Award for Best Novel.

Plus, there are funny bits. Strongly recommended. Don't miss these, and be sure to check out the rest of Bujold's oeuvre. You'll be rewarded.