Oh, I know he isn't, Bettina. RDA's last on screen appearance in the show (at least in the near future) is in the upcoming episode, Origins.

But TPTB have said that the character of O'Neill will be kept alive in the show, even though he's not on screen. So an onscreen reference to a happy ship ending happening offscreen means the same to me as seeing it on screen. In fact, I'd actually prefer to have it happen offscreen. Then, I can make it work the way I want to in my head. laugh

And the civilian reference harks back to the S8 episode, Threads. But maybe you haven't seen that one yet? If so, I won't spoil the significance of it for you. So read no further if you don't want to be spoiled.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

C

E

In Threads, Jack is temporarily in a relationship with a CIA agent called Kerry. Towards the end of the episode, Kerry breaks off the relationship, citing Jack's feelings for Sam as the reason. As she leaves his office, she offers some advice:

KERRY: Good. (She smiles and walks towards the door, then turns and puts her hands on her hips.) You know, there’s just one thing I don’t understand.

O’NEILL: Just one?

KERRY: Is the Air Force the only thing keeping you two apart? Rules and regulations? Cos if it is, you’re making a very big mistake.

O’NEILL: And you know what I should do?

KERRY: Retire.

O’NEILL: Again.

KERRY: Don’t get me wrong – you are considered invaluable to the programme by the Pentagon, but the President has appointed a civilian to run the SGC before. (Jack nods.) Just a thought. (She leaves the room, leaving Jack looking pensive and bothered by what she’s made him think about.)

(Transcript credited to Stargate Transcripts )

So, as you can see, the news that Jack may have resigned from the Air Force to take on a civilian command (if not the SGC) at the start of S9, not long after this conversation with Kerry towards the end of S8, does provide some intriguing speculation on his intentions towards a relationship with Sam. Might not be panning out that way, but, hey, we can hope the two are connected. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers