Could it be that precisely because our culture may not expect widowers to grieve much,
The fact that google doesn't provide pictures of a grieving widower seems rather to me because (1) the larger part of the people connected to the Internet are from the US and/or other Western countries. And (2) particularly in the US (and perhaps to a lesser degree in other Western countries), the construction of masculinity encourages men to keep a tight lid on their feelings and not show them publically (which incidentally can be an argument for why women write about men who show an excess of "feeling", because it's not something frequently seen. I believe, you're saying something along these lines, but your reasoning has holes in it).

So yes, Western culture does expect more public grief from widows, but the issue is not as simple as that. "Public" is a keyword here and it is necessary to look at how "male" and "female" are constructed in this public space--what behaviors are societally sanctioned.

Thus, I wouldn't jump the gun and say that "society doesn't expect widowers to grieve much." That's a big jump from "society expects more public grief from widows." That ends up oversimplifying things again.

We also must keep in mind that grieving too is a loaded term (and another keyword). We all grieve in different ways which are also influenced by gender among a plethora of other factors.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png