Okay... okay... I normally keep my stinking nose to myself...

But I do have to poke one hole in your theoretical TV show, Ann <not picking on you <g> just poking holes in your theory>

Usually the person who dies in the deathfics does so for completely random reasons. The two characters suddenly find themselves in a rain of bullets, and the black person is killed, while the white one survives. It could just as easily have been the other way round, but it wasn't.
See, here, you are dealing with a TV show where both characters can easily die (white & black) by either bullets (as you pointed out), a car accident, falling off a cliff, a bomb, a heart attack... need I go on? But with LnC, it's a little different. Superman CANNOT be killed by any such easy means of death. As Sue pointed out... it's a little more difficult to kill him off... you have to set it up and it's a major undertaking. Whereas, if you were a cruel author (not saying that I would do this) you could very easily just have Lois and Clark enjoying some light, easy banter, sharing an ice cream cone together and Clark bends over to pick up a penny off the sidewalk and Lois steps off the sidewalk, looks back to see what Clark is doing, and gets hit by a truck.

BAM! <to quote John Madden>

Would that be a good fic? I'm not the judge one way or another. I'm simply posting another theoretical set of circumstances... trying to show that it is indeed easier to kill Lois. To have killed Clark in the same manner... he would have had to have just fought with a bad guy and have been severely weakened by Kryptonite first. And then we wouldn't have seen them just enjoying a casual stroll sharing an icecream together, now would we? It changes the circumstances quite drastically when you bring Superman into the picture. Because, let's face it, if you tried to kill Clark off in this manner, and he got "hit by the car", he would just allow himself to bounce off of it or slide under the vehicle, so that he didn't get hurt and he could continue "living" in the eyes of the public.

Now... if you really wanted to put a "fair" challenge out there and see Clark abused in the way that you seem to think Lois gets abused... then have someone write a story where "Lois" is Ultrawoman and Clark doesn't have his powers and gets killed. Because, then, it would be real easy to kill him off, and you'd be leaving behind a grieving super-powered Lois instead... who has to carry on in Superman's place. That would be more the same set of circumstances.

Actually, that could be a very interesting story... hmmm... but I digress...

I actually do not "prefer" deathfics. I will read one occasionally, and even enjoy it. I can "appreciate" the talent it takes to write one and the amount of "heart" and feelings and emotions that goes into one.

So I normally don't say anything because I feel like every author has the right to write what they want... just like we have the right to read it or refuse.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. <g>

-- DJ <signing off>

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.