Please don't misunderstand me, Hasini. I know you meant well when your posted your previous reply.

Carol, if an author isn't God over her own fictional universe, what is she supposed to be? We are writing about a man who flies . It can happen so because we make the rules of universe which our characters inhabit. Whether you choose to accept it as such or not is your own choice, but it's easier for everybody if you do. Otherwise, just don't read it.
I wasn't objecting at all to an author being "God" in her own universe, but rather to the idea that the reader ought to buy into the author's universe. I'm glad you've clarified that now by saying it is the reader's choice (and often not a conscious one) whether to buy into the author's parameters. And of course, once the author has posted the deathfic warning at the start of a story, no one has a right to complain they weren't warned about the content.

As for the flying man - that falls under the 'willing suspension of disbelief' umbrella - for some of us that's a small umberalla, for others it's a tent. smile

I've just read your last post (think there was a time cross in posting) and I do think you're onto something with idea that some readers, female anyway, might fantasize about how their lover would react to their death.

btw, loved your term "deathfic plotbunny" - had immediate visions of the 4 Plotbunnies of the Apocalypse. laugh

c