Why should it stand 'against' her, though? it is her opinion and why not accept it as such?
We do accept as her opinion, Carol. However when she pulls up an argument like this time and again, we feel that she is not taking an objective stance on it. So we are naturally prejudiced as to what we expect her to be saying as opposed to what she is actually saying. It's a predictable pitfall.

Wow - the author as God, changing the mind set that a reader brings to a story. Sort of like waving a magic wand
Carol, if an author isn't God over her own fictional universe, what is she supposed to be? We are writing about a man who flies . It can happen so because we make the rules of universe which our characters inhabit. Whether you choose to accept it as such or not is your own choice, but it's easier for everybody if you do. laugh Otherwise, just don't read it.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.