I'm not sure what you're suggesting here, Carol, but the admins of these boards have always taken a very open approach to discussion, whether on or off the topic of L&C
Thanks for reminding us of this, Wendy. smile That was my understanding of what Admin's position is.
I was fearful that the unofficial censure of the right to discuss/ deconstruct/ critique, state an opinion about genres which was expressed in a few of the posts in this thread was leading towards a change in that policy. I'd thought, however, near the end of the thread we'd passed by that possibility and had regained our tolerance. smile
I made that statement because I was afraid we were about to go back to square one with respect to the tolerance of other's opinions. (this feels clumsily worded to me)

Thanks for clarifying the sequence of the nfic debate - I do remember how heated it was but I couldn't remember the time line on it. I wasn't involved in that debate - but it was a bit of an eye-opener for me to read. Up until that point I'd had no idea people felt so strongly about the genre one way or another. smile

Lab, I think perhaps the reason the deathfic analysis topic gets so much more 'traffic' so to speak is simply because the topic is "death", and perhaps also because, as Terry points out, most of us love both characters and so it is distressing when either is killed off. And so we ask the age old question "Why?". smile

Hope both of you found something in one of my many previous posts in the thread that you liked or agreed with or thought was a reasonable point smile

Terry's suggestion of anti-male bias in the Clark deathfics rasied an interesting question. We'd have to find the number of Cdf and the number of Ldfs. What actually is the size of discrepancy? Is it greater than we would expect , considering that Clark is nearly invulnerable? If it is not, then I wouldn't think you could claim a particular bias, but if it's larger then we could. I'm just playing with this idea here, and I know it would be a tricky thing to do. First we;d have to agree on how much more likely it is to kill Lois than Clark and I think such agreement might be difficult. Still it would give us the numbers. Sounds tedious to do though. smile
(although maybe stats types would not find it so?)

Terry's advice to just not read the story makes sense but before you can make that decision you have to know that the story *is* either a Lois or Clark DF. smile

btw, at no point in this thread has anyone "blasted" the author. In fact the specific story itself was not the topic of discussion, (nor should it have been).

c.