As I'm only writing my second fanfic ever (and I have yet to finish that one) I doubt I'm qualified to answer this, but I had to chime in anyway.
I lurked on these boards for several years before ever posting, because there was just so much great fanfic to read, I love to read, I love LNC, and it was such a great escape. But I was nervous to join in. I guess it's just the whole idea of the internet in general being such a vast place.

After a while, though, it seemed like I had read so much that the characters, I can literally hear them in my head when I read. And with all the great fanfic in this fandom, it was easy to spark creative juices just from reading other stories.

It had been years since I had written anything before I posted here, and I was terrified of the response I would get because I felt so amateur compared to some of the other writers here. But everyone on these boards is so supportive and friendly, it seems. I think even writing here can be addictive, esp. for someone like me who can practice on their writing craft without total fear of being torn limb from limb.

Well, that's my two cents.

Marcy

blush

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien