Well, I'll bow out of the money comparison game; I'm a capitalist so I think it's good when people get rich, as long as they do it honestly.

The idea that "Sarah Palin is just like me" obviously does not encompass our current salary levels. smile It's more of a general "grew up in a small town & still seems like regular folks" way. Theoretically, there's no reason I couldn't have done the same; I just wouldn't want to go through all that. I've never even wanted to join the PTA smile She seems very down-to-earth.

Elitism, btw, is only tangentially related to money. It's primarily an attitude of "I'm better than those little people" whether the rationale for that is salary or smarts or supposed moral superiority. Or the fact that one grew up in a big city rather than the sticks, say, on a farm in Kansas for totally random instance laugh

That cultural divide has been going on in America for centuries; this is only the latest skirmish. So far, I don't think anyone's winning. Which is probably good; America needs both groups.

Groobie, excellent object lesson. I admire you for taking an awful event and using it for good.

As for whether she should have expected to keep secrets or not... I think I've heard more about Bristol Palin in two weeks than I have about the Bush twins in eight years. The media has gone completely bonkers; hopefully the feeding frenzy will calm down soon.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K