Flinching at that thought, he rose to his feet. “I can’t give up on her, even if she has given up on me.”
But Clark, if she gave up on you, she would give up on the investigation. OK, he doesn't know that, but I had to say it to try and feel a little better. There is a reason I fastforwarded through most of "Barbarians at the Planet" and "Fall of the House of Luthor" the first time I watched Lois and Clark, even though I knew that Lois and Clark got married. My first clear knowledge of exposure to the show is from reading a TV troupes entry on the episode "Sex, Lies and Videotapes", so I knew Lois and Clark would get married to eachother and this was not the no net progress work we got with the 1970s/1980s Superman movies (although to be fair, I think even there the plan was to eventually put Lois and Clark together as a couple, that just went out the window when creative control went to other people).

“It was his birthday!” Jonathan reminded her.
She really should have waited another day. What could it have hurt? OK, she might have lost her determination. Somehow I can't see that as bad though.

“Why?” Jonathan gasped. “When has she ever done right by him?”
In the hospital. In the Honeymoon Suite. She ran back to him, when she could have learned more spending more time talking to Luthor.

Martha gave him a sharp look. “Just trust me on this, Jonathan. Don’t hate the woman our adopted son loves.
smile1 Clark still loves Lois.

“Elizabeth Bennet said to Mr. Darcy practically the exact same thing that Lois told Jerome when he first proposed marriage as well. If their love is for the ages, so too must Jerome and Lois’s love be.”
Yes but there Elizabeth turned down the rich Mr. Darcy, here Lois is turning to the rich Mr. Luthor.

John Pack Lambert