, the paved road suddenly appeared in front of her.

“Yes!” she said, slamming on the brakes to stop and knocking herself into the steering wheel. “That was stupid, there, Lane,” she muttered to herself and pulled on her seatbelt, rubbing her sore chest.

Good thing she took a moment to do that, and then look both ways, because one of Bureau 39’s other trucks came barreling past.
Well that was close.

he truck skidded and slid, crashing into the huge oak tree down at the base of the driveway.
Aaaand I'm hoping she didn't hit it too hard. Older vehicles weren't usually suited to crash as some newer ones today.

“How in the hell did you ever get elected?” Jimmy asked. “You must be the most selfish self-important lawman I’ve ever seen, and I’m from Metropolis.”

“Shut up,” the sheriff growled.

Darlene was having some kind of coughing fit on the other end of the radio
Sounds like things are beginning to unravel in Smallville for this little sheriff. I have to hope Hank ends up taking his place if so. Something tells me that Lana still gravitates towards the heroic type.

Out of nowhere, Hank heard the screech of tires and sound of crunching metal and breaking glass, pulling him out of his thoughts. He pressed down on his gas pedal, speeding up his truck. He saw an army truck wrapped around the big oak tree at the base of the Kents’ driveway.

Pulling into the driveway, he parked a safe distance away from the accident. Sitting in the front seat of the truck was that reporter lady, her head against resting against the steering wheel. Her door was smashed against the tree. He could smell the telltale scent of gasoline and knew that he didn’t have much time. Running around to the passenger door, Hank jumped inside. He took out his pocketknife and cut through the seatbelt holding her in her seat, hooked his arm under hers and pulled her from the truck.
*said VERY quietly* Oh no...

When he got there, the truck behind him exploded into a fireball. So much for the old oak tree.
I guess it could have been worse. Still, she's going to have some major injuries to add to her "battle scars."

“He’s not Clark Kent!” roared Trask, slamming his fist into the sheriff’s nose and grabbing the sheriff’s pistol from his holster. “He’s Superman!”

“Lois!” Clark screamed, pushing her to the ground. “Get down!”

Trask’s gun exploded once and then twice.
Oh no. I suspect it's not Lois but it's likely the Sheriff and Clark. *shudders.*

EVIL CLIFFY! EVIL CLIFFY!
thud thud thud thud thud

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)