Phil felt horrible. Worse than horrible, in fact downright miserable.
Clark:At least I am not the only one. Although the love of his life did not just try to kill him. Nor has his love of his life gotten engaged to another man. So what has he to be sad about. He brought his problem entirely on himself.

He loved Cat. She was sweet, loving, and knock down gorgeous.
At least he does not lead with the physical.

It was a miracle that she spoke to him, and, yet, according to Joe she seemed to like him as much as he liked her.
He really should have listened to Joe, and paused to wonder if he was being rash.

Phil had spent most of his entire thirty-four years longing to meet such a woman, and he doubted he could find another one who made him half as happy.
Which is why he should go back, admit he is wrong, and apologize for being a lunkhead.

Clark:See, not all lunkheads are from Krypton.

Cat had promised him that there wasn’t anything going on between her and Kent, but how couldn’t Phil be jealous with the photographic evidence spread out before them?
He could accept that photographs are lies.

Kent was everything Phil wasn’t, everything a woman like Cat deserved.
But Kent does not want Cat.

Kent was the epitome of tall, dark, and handsome, while Phil was out of shape, not so tall, and had thinning hair.
Obviously Cat does not care as much about outward appearance as some think.

The only things he and Kent had in common were that they were both male, both wore glasses, and both cared a lot for Cat.
All true, although Kent cares about her in a brotherly way.

If Kent ever took up contacts, Phil hoped it was well after he and Cat had moved to Houston.
See, he already has given up on making this stand.

Phil groaned. As if that would ever happen now. He could just kick himself.
Run back and apologize Phil. Tell Cat she was right and you were wrong. The sooner you do it, the sooner she will forgive you. Actually the amount of time that it will take to be forgiven is probably increasing exponentially with each step away from Cat.

Of course, she would keep her best friends whom she had known… however long over her whirlwind romance with him.
Maybe he should have sought to know Cat more before giving ultimatums.

Especially since Phil had already floored her with the news that NASA hired him back and he was due in Houston by mid-summer.
Yes, that would have been wise. Move to Houston and then discuss whether Cat should be running up huge phone bills to call her old friends. OK, that is probably not a good way to do things either. However Phil's ultimatum was a horrible idea.

Phil couldn’t tell if she sounded frightened or excited. He took a chance and steamrolled ahead. He turned to face her. “I love you more than anything in the universe, and nothing would make me happier than spending the rest of my life, proving to you how incredibly special and wonderful you are.”
Now if Clark had said this to Lois when he proposed, maybe she would have said yes. Okay, probably not yes, but she would have probably still figured out how to tell him what she was doing.

“So,” he had said. “What only matters to me is from now on.”
Evidently that did not stay true.

Now, he was in hell.
One that he made all on his own.

worse than whoever created that rumored Nightfall virus, which convinced Superman to destroy a harmless asteroid and endanger the Earth.
They need to get Phil to come out in the open and explain that this is what happened to more people.

Phil turned right down a side street, and then another.
Yes, Phil has let sense come into him. He has swallowed his pride quickly.

He had to go back. He had to beg Cat to forgive him. He had to plead for her to take him back. He only prayed that he wasn’t too late.
We just hope he beats the bomb, and does not find a dead estranged fiancée.

“Someday, you’ll see I was right about this, and you were wrong.”
Hopefully it will be a very soon someday.

Whoa, man, what’s this?” Jimbo asked, picking up a photo of Clark and Cat outside the Metro Diner.
Jimbo just does not know when to not cut into other people's business.

“You don’t want to know,” Clark said, snatching the photo away from Jimbo and adding it to the others.
Oh no, that is the way to make things worse. Just admit what they are Clark.

“In TV shows and movies, whenever someone gets caught in a compromising position, they always say ‘it isn’t what it looks like’ and, yet, it always is what it looks like,” Jimbo replied.
He just watches the wrong movies. Sometimes the innocent get framed.

“Jimmy said you were ‘the King’ when it came to women, but Cat? She’s engaged to another man now, CK.
Clark:Not everything Jimmy says is the truth.

She and Lois are friends.
Since Lois is engaged to another man, what does that have to do with anything. Also, it is totally not true.

Anyway, I came here to tell you to fight for Lois, to tell her how you really feel, because I thought you were a stand-up guy and deserved better…”
Clark does not have the heart to do that. Also, that last line just cut him in another way. Now he really will feel like leaving.

“Lois is engaged to another man, too. Maybe my relationship with her is exactly what I deserve,”
whinging that Clark has given up.

An explosion from below shook the floors and walls of the newsroom.
Maybe we have not yet hit bottom. This could kill all of the friends Clark thinks he still has. Perry, Jimbo, Jimmy and Cat may all die.

John Pack Lambert