Clearly, whoever these men were they weren’t professional terrorists.
Arguably most terrorists are amateurs. They do it for the love of the cause, not the money. Which also means professional might not be the best word to describe what he has in mind.

They were being too careless. They were all doing something in that office: drilling, using a blowtorch, and shoveling away debris.
Schumack:Why worry about guarding. Willie locked the doors, and we left Freddy in the van in the garage, so no one will get in.

“Nah,” the first man replied. “That was Fuentes losing his cool, blowing off steam. There’s a reason I didn’t tell him our news face-to-face.”
Oh, I thought he was just going for efficiency.

that he had a lack of a social life.
Maybe he just gets stuck with the night shift. Policemen do that. Although, I would guess not so much at the level of Henderson, they probably officially work 9-5 on salary, and really work crazy, insane hours.

“Watch? What watch?” she sputtered. How had he learned about her watch investigation?
Because he found the watch. Cat and Lois really need to coordinate on this investigation.

Cat:And loose my chance to scoop her?

Lois:What, do you think I am stupid. I know what happens when you share your story, look what Claude did to me.

“Are you pulling my leg?” Bill asked with annoyance. “Because that doesn’t sound like something you newspaper types would tell me about until after the fact.
Cat:Well, they are already hostage, so it is after the fact.

tired of being treated less than human for one evening just because she happened to be a gorgeous woman with a sense of style.
Although since Henderson can't see her, that might not be why he is doing this.

as a best friend? Really?” Bill scoffed.
clap She did say her previous search for Lois was for a friend, so Henderson's conclusion makes sense.

with Kent, yeah,
party someone else understands that Lois and Clark are first and foremost friends. Although, frown it does not seem to work so well in this story.

Join the club, Cat thought and not correcting him on his erroneous assumption of her relationship with Lois.
Like he would ever believe it if she tried to claim Clark was her best friend.

“If he’s really been shot, why didn’t you dial 9-1-1?” he asked.
He needs an ambulance immediately.

“Because their man on the inside is the security guard named Willie,” Cat explained. “He’s an old man, like white hair and shuffles old, and he likes to listen to the police scanners. If you can keep it quiet, and off the official channels, so they don’t know you’re coming, then maybe they’d be less likely to shoot more hostages.”
I still don't buy it. Speed is of the essence to save Luthor.

“He’s not dead.
frown that Luthor is still alive.

“Wait! No! Cat, don’t,” Bill interrupted. “Get yourself someplace safe and leave this to the professionals, Catherine. I don’t need to deal with freeing a sixth hostage.”
Cat:I investigate for a living, I am a professional here.

“I thought you said… never mind.
So did he miss that there were two Jimmies?

wondered if Clark had heard the sirens.
My guess would be they all heard the sirens, except maybe the Lex-clone.

Of course, he had, but Clark couldn’t run out on some flimsy excuse to be Superman at the moment.
I thought he only responded to calls that really required his help. Except in "Target:Jimmy Olsen"., which I still think was the stupidest scene ever, Superman specifically making sure some punks cleaned up graffiti when Clark should have been talking with Lois. They really should have had some scenes where Clark apologized for running out on her too often. Hmm, maybe I should write them.

John Pack Lambert