Clark wished he hadn’t put off filing his taxes
grumble I still wish she would only wear things like that to be with me.

Reader:Clark, you have no one to blame but yourself. You are the one who turned down a chance to spend the weekend with Lois.

Was that how he normally wooed a woman, or was he treating her differently?
Maybe Lex has become addicted to revenge and is still using it.

She had teased him about considering this outing a date instead of evening entertainment between friends, but she could tell he had taken her at her word.
Somehow I think Lois is the only person who could possibly thing this is not a date.

even though his treatment of her didn’t feel flattering.
dance she is beginning to see through his façade. I seem to be using that word a lot.

He usually was subtly patronizing,
Except for the times when he is overtly so.

sickeningly suave while issuing backhanded compliments,
Why does she put up with those from him?

and coolly charming as he tried to maneuver the conversation and her opinions to where he thought they should be. He was good at it too. Sometimes, it wasn’t until she was back home and rehashing in her mind their conversations for any nuggets of information worth retaining or exploring that she would realize that he had done it again.
I still think this whole undercover with Luthor plan was stupid. She has been doing it almost a month and learned virtually nothing.

Lois’s brow furrowed. Why was Lex taking a conference call upstairs in his private living quarters instead of in his office?
Because it is like the "conference call" her father would have with Mrs. Belcanto.

Standing up, Lois decided she wasn’t going to waste her time, sitting and waiting at the dinner table for him to return.
dance she is going to go into Lex's office and actually learn something. At least I can hope.

John Pack Lambert