Clark glanced up as Lois marched down the ramp into the bullpen
dance we moved back to Lois and Clark parts.

and slammed her briefcase down next to her desk. She appeared as if one should only approach her with a chair and a whip. He sighed as his heart sank. The plea deal meeting must not have gone as well as they had hoped.
I guess it was good I did not have that high hopes for a trip to Kansas.

“Terrific? Terrific?” she hollered, swinging out her arms in an erratic manner, and causing Jimmy to jump behind Clark. “I’m being punished for harboring an innocent man!”
She's being punished for taking the law into her won hands and assuming she knows better than it.

“Not only is this on my permanent record, Perry, that I was guilty, I have to pay a fine.
I can see why she is mad about it.

a Pulitzer Prize,
Well that might still happen. In fact, maybe she should play up the angle of prosecution for seeking the truth to the committee.

“So, you’re going to trial?” Jimmy wondered.
It sounded like she had agreed, so I doubted it.

“No,” Lois grouched. “My lawyer said that there was a fifty-fifty chance I could see actual jail time because Eugene Laderman was technically an escaped felon at the time I harbored him.
That sounds like more than it is worth. Plus, it would not solve her limited travel issues very quickly if they went to trial.

That his conviction was overturned later, by my hard work no less, might not be admissible in court,
That would make it hard to win.

“That’s another thing,” Lois roared, clearly not over her rant. “They wouldn’t accept working at the Daily Planet as an investigative reporter as ‘community service’.
Generally they do not take paid work as such.

If the Daily Planet doesn’t help the community better than anyone, I don’t know who does.”
I doubt anyone could get their main job counted as community service.

“How long do you have?” Jimmy asked.
This seems an odd way to phrase the question.

He was certainly the bravest of the three of them, or the stupidest.
Maybe both of those at once.

“How long? One hundred hours! If I do two hours every day, that’s two months! That’s how long,” she yelled. “It would have been one month or fifty hours, but I protested the attached rider, which said that I couldn’t converse with criminals.
Is this so Clark can't insist she stops talking to Luthor?

I think that A.D.A. added that out of spite. How am I supposed to find a place to do community service, which hasn’t hired any other criminals of my ilk to do community service?
That was not the first issue I saw, but it is a good point.

I had to remind them that I’m a reporter. It’s my job to speak with criminals, known or otherwise, on a daily basis.
That was the angle I figured from the beginning.

I talk to sources, snitches, witnesses, not to mention elected officials and crooked D.A.s!”
Hopefully she did not mention the last part in the negotiations.

Perry winced. “And that’s how you got your sentence doubled,” he said more than asked.
I guess Perry figures she did mention the crooked D.A.s in her harangue.

Lois scoffed. “As if they thought their office was squeaky clean.”
I am surprised she went on that line of attack.

Her eyes narrowed. “With my luck, I’d discover an illegal drug ring using dogs as mules, which I couldn’t report on out of fear of having my ‘community service’ revoked and my butt thrown back in jail.
Would people be that spiteful? Actually, I can see Mayson Drake being that spiteful.

Clark decided not to mention that she could have taken two weeks of her vacation and done the community service all at once instead of piecemeal,
Actually if she had not complained and gotten the 50 hours, she could have done it all with one week of vacation.

Clark sat down next to her desk after the others had wandered off. “So, it looks like everything’s getting back to normal again. Power’s on, phones are working, planes are in the air, Mad Dog’s back…”
Hopefully Lois will be glad to see that Clark still recognizes her fire.

“Very funny,” Lois retorted.
I guess not.

“I should have let Lex’s lawyer defend me, instead of the Daily Planet attorney;
Is she trying to outrage Clark?

maybe then all the charges would have been waived. Actually, what I really should look into now is A.D.A. Drake and how corrupt she is. Schwartz said he had talked to her and that she was willing to give me a pass on all the charges, but as soon as I show up with a Daily Planet attorney, instead of some highly-priced one, she’s singing a different tune, saying that she never accepted that deal with Lex’s lawyer. Ha!”
Maybe it is Schwartz and not Drake who is lying.

“Community service is like parole. I’m not allowed to leave the state of New Troy until I’ve completed it without written permission from the state, and, personally, I’d rather not have them dictate my private life.”
Well, hopefully Clark will be glad that she wants to spend time away with him. Although it is unclear whether this is because it keeps her from Kansas or London that it bothers her more.

John Pack Lambert