Lois only knows Clark's second biggest secret; she just doesn't know that he has a bigger one.

I like this twist on their conversation. There's so much that they're trying to convey but not say. I was confused here, though:

He was still wracking his brain, trying to figure out to what she was referring. A month ago, they were investigating Rourke at the Lexor… Oh, no.
I can't remember what was going on when they were at the Lexor. That's not when they broke up, is it? And I'm not sure which chapter it would be in to go re-read. I'm sure once someone points it out to me, I'll remember what Clark's referring to.

“Swear you won’t repeat it,” she said.

“No!”

“On the lives of our future grandchildren,” Lois insisted.

Clark stared at her. Did she say just what he thought she had said?
Lois totally has no idea that she just totally slipped up. Or else it was completely intentional to throw Clark off-balance to make him more compliant. I'm not sure which. Probably the former.

He hated it when she used this voice against him. It reminded him of when Lana tried to wheedle him into doing things he didn’t want to do.

“Lois,” he said coolly. “Don’t talk to me like that.”

She stopped and cocked her head off to the side. “Don’t talk to you like what?”

“As if I would do anything you ask because I…” He cleared his throat. “Because you ask it. This…” He waved his index finger between them. “— is a choice that I’ve made of my own free will. I’m not powerless to act against it.”

“Of course you aren’t, Clark,” she said, and they both knew she was placating him. “I know that.”
Boo for Lois acting manipulative like Lana. I wonder if Clark's protesting will make her more or less likely to repeat it. Cannon Clark seemed to like Lois acting like this, but experience can sure make us react differently to the same things.

Good chapter. I like all the Lois-Clark interaction. I was a bit disappointed, though, that Lois didn't follow Clark out to corner him in some secluded corner of wherever he was going to look up those drugs in order to get some... quality time. Oh, well. At least they're talking. And if all their positive interactions are physical, that's a pretty shallow relationship. Still, smoochies are nice. smile

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)