Harvester of Light Trilogy - S J West

I. Harvester
II. Hope
III. Dawn

In a time when technology gives you the choice of trading in your humanity for immortality, war has broken out between those who have chosen eternal life, known as Harvesters, and the last bastion of humans who view death as a small price to pay to retain their immortal souls.

As one of the few remaining survivors of the war, Skye and her best friend Ash struggle to live in what’s left of a post-nuclear United States. They elude capture by the Harvesters and simply try to stay alive in a world gone mad.

An above average young adult fantasy with good, solid characters and a plot that never flags. Skye can come across as a bit of a Mary Sue at times, but there is a good reason for it within the plot, so that can be forgiven.

The Bad Box - Harvey Click

Sarah Temple hopes to find a bit of peace and quiet when she leaves her abusive boyfriend, but instead she finds a world of horror. It’s bad enough that a sadistic serial killer and another maniac are both trying to murder her, but what’s worse is the mysterious Solitary One who controls both of them, a malevolent entity that the serial killer describes as a living darkness, a man and yet not a man, something that’s alive and yet not alive, something that wants to appall the world.

Trying to flee from the two killers, Sarah finds herself running deeper and deeper into a deadly supernatural trap, a place where people are buried alive, where ghastly apparitions mutter in the dark, where demented killers prowl, where a crumbling haunted house can drive its victims mad with terror, and where something buried for a very long time may walk again.

Very enjoyable supernatural thriller, densely plotted with good characters. I'll definitely be looking out for more from this author.

The Body At Auercliffe - Amy Cross

“We'll bury her so deep, even her ghost will have a mouth full of dirt!”

When Rebecca Wallace arrives at Auercliff to check on her aged aunt, she's in for a shock. Her aunt's mind is crumbling, and the old woman refuses to let Rebecca stay overnight. And just as she thinks she's starting to understand the truth, Rebecca makes a horrifying discovery in one of the house's many spare rooms.

A dead body. A woman. Old and rotten. And her aunt insists she has no idea where it came from.

The truth lies buried in the past. For generations, the occupants of Auercliff have been tormented by the repercussions of a horrific secret. And somehow everything seems to be centered upon the mausoleum in the house's ground, where every member of the family is entombed once they die.

Whose body was left to rot in one of the house's rooms? Why have successive generations of the family been plagued by a persistent scratching sound? And what really happened to Rebecca many years ago, when she found herself locked inside the Auercliff mausoleum?

The Body at Auercliff is a horror story about a family and a house, and about the refusal of the past to stay buried.

During the summer, Amy Cross quickly became my go to author for quirky supernatural stories. This is my favourite, so far. A genuinely chilling ghost story cum family mystery, with enough twists and turns to satisfy.

The Summer Queen
The Winter Crown
The Love Knot
Lady of the English

All by Elizabeth Chadwick

For my money, Chadwick is THE best writer of historical/historical romance novels, bar none. So it's a surprise that I've read only a couple of her novels till now. Something, I intend to rectify this year.

I tend to enjoy her romances over her true histories - in this batch my favourite was definitely The Love Knot - but whether its real historical figures or her own characters, she has the knack of pulling you into her world from the very first page and engrossing and enthralling till the last.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers