8. The Last Vampire, by Christopher Pike

This YA vampire novel, written over a decade before Twilight, was interesting except for one thing -- the main character is a complete and total Mary Sue. Alisa Perne, aka Sita, is a 5,000-year-old vampire from India. She's Aryan, so she's got blonde hair, blue eyes, and looks to be the same age as she was when the first vampire, Yaksha, transformed her (about 20). She can jump so high she appears to be flying, has the strength of six men, and heals instantly (unless she gets decapitated or staked through the heart, in which case, she will die). She has been hanged twice and crucified four times, but she got over it. She was present for the building of the pyramids, the American Civil War, and the moon launch at Cape Canaveral. She has rubbed elbows with some history's most famous people, including Krishna, Socrates, and Bram Stoker (all of whom she decided not to bite). She meets a high school student named Ray (whose father she killed for getting too close), perceives that he is the reincarnation of her 5,000-years-dead husband, Rama, and transformed him into a vampire. She also meets a high school boy who is dying of AIDS and uses her blood to cure him (but not transform him into a vampire). At the end of the book, she gets staked through the heart when her house explodes, which one might presume would be fatal, but since there are about nine books in this series, I'm guessing she got over it.

At least Alisa/Sita doesn't sparkle.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland