Among Wolves: Children of the Mountain I - R. A. Hakok

Gabriel remembers the Last Day. He and Mags had been on a tour of the White House with the rest of Miss Kimble’s first-graders when it happened. They fled with the President to a long-abandoned bunker, even as the first of the bombs began to fall.

Ten years have passed, and now Gabriel is almost grown. He still lives deep inside the mountain, waiting for the world to thaw. But outside the storms continue to rage, and supplies are running low. The President says it will be okay, because they are the Chosen Ones. But Gabriel isn’t so sure. Gabriel’s their scavenger, and he’s seen what it’s like out there.

Then one day Gabriel finds a bloodstained map. The blood’s not a problem, nor are the frozen remains of the person it once belonged to. Gabriel’s used to seeing dead bodies. There's far worse to be found in any Walmart or Piggly Wiggly you care to wander into.

Except this one he recognizes, and it shouldn’t be all the way out here. Now all Gabriel can think is how he's going to make it back to the bunker and let the President know what he's found.

But Gabriel's troubles are only just beginning. For things are not as they seem inside the mountain, and soon he will face a much larger problem: how to get Mags and the others out.

A pretty superior YA PA novel which kept me intrigued all the way through. A likeable hero, lots of small mysteries that kept me wondering...it seems that book 2 hasn't yet been published but I'll definitely be buying it when it is. Although, refreshingly, you could pretty much read this as a stand alone.

The Farseer Trilogy:

Assassin's Apprentice
Royal Assassin
Assassin's Quest

The Tawny Man Trilogy:

Fool's Errand
Golden Fool
Fool's Fate

Robin Hobb has always been in my top five favourite fantasy authors list and my most favourite of her span of linked trilogies known collectively as the In The Realm of the Elderlings series have been the books centring on Fitz and the Fool.

So, I was delighted recently to discover she had embarked on a new trilogy dealing with these characters. As it has been some years since I read the others, I revisited them to get me up to speed with the small details, and they delighted and enthralled me all over again.

LabRat :)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers