I know, I'm posting on this thread again, but I just had to tell another FoLC-out-of-the-closet story.

Last spring I took a class called "Comparative Study of Death." 70% of our grade was a fifteen page final paper that could be on any subject related to death. I chose to write on death in the Superman mythos. My roommate thought I was nuts and that I would probably fail the class for writing on such a silly topic (although she didn't say it that harshly).

The paper was tons of fun to write, and I ended up getting a 4.0 in the class. Because I didn't get perfect grades on the stuff that was the other 30% of my grade, that means that I actually got extra credit for writing on such a creative topic! Needless to say, my roommate had to eat her words. laugh

I still wonder exactly what the teacher thought of it... for all I know, he lurks on these boards... *g*

I have to say, though, that I do know somewhat how the in-the-closet-FoLCs feel. I don't like surfing around the boards or anything that (like Annie said) screams Lois and Clark when I'm in public. I don't care if people who know me know what I'm doing and think I'm a geek, but for some reason I guard my feelings more around people I don't know. I just don't trust them not to say something hurtful, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

I'm devoted to Superman. And there is no nice way to say that. Absolutely no way to say that and sound cool. And harder still for a grown woman.
No kidding, CC! There is just absolutely no possible way to say that you can like Superman and retain your dignity. I think I get away with it now because I'm a college student, but I worry about next year when I'm in law school. There is just not going to be any way to be taken seriously as a law student if someone knows that I have a Superman poster on my wall, a lunch box on my shelf, a book on my coffee table, every episode of Lois and Clark on tape, and notebooks full of printed fanifcs in my closet. There is just no way. dizzy

~Anna