In that case, Wendy, I hope you're writing under a pen name wink Otherwise, one curious Google search will out you!

I kind of get a kick out of telling people I met my friends on the Internet <g> Now, it helps a *lot* that several of those friends are within driving distance, but it's fun to see people's faces. One of the best times was when I was in labor goofy Kelley couldn't face the delivery room, so Chris agreed to be my labor coach. The nurse was making conversation: "oh, you're friends, that's nice, how did you meet?" We sort of looked at each other, then one of us said, "We met on the Internet" goofy ) turned out to have been closed, but we worked around that wink

My parents know about IRC, and the writing (my mom's read one or two of my stories, which is more than I can say for my husband), and the Kerths... "Hey, Mom, I'm glad you're visiting for the weekend and all, and it's great that my brother & his wife are here, too, but, um, I have to go online now to run this awards ceremony... could you watch the baby for me for the next four-five hours? Thanks!" <g> Although for a while I think she thought of you all as sort of a complicated computer game I was playing... wink

Oh, and then there was the time at a Tupperware party, with church friends... the consultant asked us all to introduce ourselves, including one thing that made us unusual. Naturally, I said that I'd written stories that were read all around the world, and that one had even been translated into French laugh

PJ
who is actually more shy than all this makes her sound wink

edit: have to agree with LabRat -- I've been thought weird by many many people since grade school, so this wasn't that big of an adjustment for me.

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K