Was watching Man of Steel Bars a couple days ago, and I noticed something:

(Thanks to Christiane\'s site for the pics!)

[Linked Image]

Like LabRat, I was always bothered about Clark opening that hydrant. Kids play and feel better, but lives are endangered...

Look at the pic, tho. The hydrant is surrounded by sawhorses. There's a "men working" sign up. There's no other sign of construction around.

Not only that, but it already had a short pipe attached, allowing access through one of the sawhorses:

[Linked Image]

Why would a hydrant be roped off when nothing else is going on?

I can only think of one answer. Hydrants need to be flushed regularly, or the stagnant water in the reserve tanks (even at high pressure) will start to grow things. It's a guess, but I'm thinking that the hydrant in question was due to be flushed.

Usually, they block off several in a row, and just work their way down the street. It takes a while, though, because they drain each one before moving on to the next. (They drain it through a hose - which would have made things hard for the kids - and they don't want to bother using more than one hose for the street.)

So... there you have it. The hydrant Clark opened would have been opened and flushed by the fire department, but they would have done it a couple of hours later and through a hose.

Sure, he got the street wet and stuff, but no one was really hurt.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.