My moment of today is from a episode I watched recently...Supermann--I think that's the name. While I enjoy Clark and Lois's banter, I was kind of caught in a what the heck moment at the point where they're researching Lisa Rockford's fingerprints. They come upon a database in Russian, so Clark starts reading.

Lois then says, very nicely in an admiring way, are there any languages you don't speak?

Then Clark responds in a VERY unnecessarily rude way with: well, sometimes I don't understand you.

She laughs. And I think both his comment and her response make my eyebrows go through the roof. Clark isn't catty. They hadn't been fighting. There was no reason for him to make a rude remark to a purely nice aside from her. And that she didn't call him on it? Impossible. Lois Lane would have definitely challenged him or at least shot back some retort. I just have to wonder sometimes if a writer was mad at his wife and felt the need to get his kicks in there!
He was definitely teasing when he said that, and he actually did that a lot. And Lois knew he was teasing, which was why she didn't call him on it.

Clark was always portrayed as somewhat of a smartass, so that was completely in character, in my opinion. Remember his "pumpkin" remark in Requiem for a Superhero? Or the "You like to be on top, got it" comment in the Pilot (in this case she would have been totally justified in letting him have it, IMO). Some people just communicate that way, it's what they do, and it doesn't mean they're being rude.

In any case, in Super Mann, his tone of voice and facial expression definitely told her that he wasn't trying to upset her, and she responded in kind.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa