Ellen was happy when she finally figured out Clark's secret. We don't see any reaction time that would indicate that the reprecussions of his being Superman would upset her, so why is that memory wiped away with the Bummer Begone? And what does everyone think happened in those moments that they've forgotten? Aren't they considered about these lapses in memory?
I think the point of that was that Ellen was too flakey to be trusted with the secret, so it was best for all concerned that she be made to forget.

At least, that's what I always figured was in the minds of TPTB on that one.

Me? I always thought it was a bit of an insult to the character. Sure she was a bit out there and prone to hysteria in any given situation. But she loved her daughter and she had no ill feelings towards Clark. So why on earth she wouldn't strive to keep the secret once she knew it defeats me.

I always imagined that Ellen would be dreadfully hurt if she ever found out that everyone but her knew what was going on.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers