Mm it does seem irresponsible, but perhaps Clark wasn’t really familiar with conventional fire fighting yet.
Regardless, I'm quite sure Martha and Jonathan brought him up not to tamper with property that doesn't belong to him. wink At best you can call it vandalism. The hydrants aren't his - what makes him think he has the right to open them up?

Or since he seem able to take out the local fires with his breath maybe he thought the water came too better use by the children under those extreme circumstances.
Seems a bit arrogant of him, if so. What makes him think he can decide how such water is used? He must surely know what a fire hydrant is for? So what gives him the impression that he knows better than Metropolis's Fire Dept.?

Since he can take off faster then the eye can see it shouldn’t really matter, if he cared.
The one which really amuses me is in one of the Lex Files episodes (I think). Where he stands on the front window ledge for several moments, talking to Lois. In full view of all those apartment windows behind him. Then, after a time, casually drops down from the window ledge into the house. No zipping in and out in the blink of an eye there. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers