Artemis, that came from me. And I was talking about the doc-format (Word 2003 doc), as in the doc-extension and opposed to docx.

And as far as doc is concerned, once all clients are Word 2003 and above, you don't have troubles with doc. Plus, I believe you get more/better 3rd-party support (Open Office, etc) with doc, since its older. Back with Word-XP, Word-2000, Word-98, the doc-format always meant backward compatibility issues and you had to make sure which version exactly you saved to if you needed to talk to older clients. Now, with doc vs. docx you can simply ensure this via the extension (since Word kindly saves Word-2007 only as docx) smile

I guess I don't really understand why the simple reader, not an editor, needs elaborate document tracking and a detailed TOC. You don't have that in a book. If you forgot something in the plot as a reader, a simple word search is adequate, IMHO.
The entire subject of DOC-files only concerned the communication between authors and GEs, not the final product on the Archive, IIRC. Right now that happens in plain-text, again for compatibility reasons between Labby, GE and author. And, unless my impression is off big time, most GE/author communication is happening using doc-format and files that got converted to plain-text, back to doc, and then again to plain-text for uploading.

Hope that clears it up smile

Michael

Edit:
Oh, and yeah, there's the compatibility pack so Word 2003 supports docx as well, but that means a separate download etc and that's not something you want to require from somebody you want to share a document with smile

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.