Re:
Bob, since you've converted so many txt files to epub, I think folcs on this thread would be interested in how exactly you did that.
regards
I don't have any magic. I use the Stanza desktop application on my Windows PC.

If I want a quick-and-dirty conversion, I load the txt file and do a Save As to save in epub foramt exactly as Lynn describes above.

If I want a clean conversion, I do this:

1. Load the txt file into MS Word

2. Use a technique almost exactly as Bethy describes to remove the hard-returns. Any yes, you need to be ready to handle the soft-return variant. It's just a different search but once you find the character it works perfectly every time. (And my experience in figuring this out was very similar to Bethy's.)

3. Then I have one more trick. For each section, add the word "Chapter x" to open each section. Then save the whole thing as MS Word format. (The is partly why I started using the word "Chapter" in my longer stories. It saves ME a step smile )

4. Then load the .doc into the Stanza desktop app. About 2/3 of the time Stanza will see the "Chapter" key words and create the chapter breakpoints. I don't know why it doesn't work all the time. I haven't tracked that down yet. frown If someone knows the magic for this part, I'd love to know.

Then Save As the epub. If Stanza recognized the chapter breaks, you will have a properly formatted, chapterized epub version.

Yes, this takes a little time but once you've done it a few times, it's pretty quick. I'd say less than 10 minutes for most files. The hard part is breaking into chapters if there isn't a good substitution word.

Bob