I think there's a bit of confusion here about what I'm asking.

The Astak EZ Reader supports over a dozen formats, including TXT, RTF, PDF, DOC (though VERY poorly! I won't use it because it treats font sizes as pixel sizes, necessitating a major font size change document wide), and, of course, EPUB. I don't need to change the file format to be able to read it in the first place.

However, I would like to have TOC with the larger stories (I gave Masques as an example of a size that would be very handy to have some sort of chapter system to jump to if I wanted). Txt might support search (haven't tested it), but not TOC. It also has an ugly-looking font compared to the epub standard font, so I'd rather not keep files as txt. Rtf is not the best format to use either, since it lacks TOC as well, I believe. As epub is best supported by the Astak, I am choosing to convert to epub. I will probably do this for my own personal enjoyment whether anyone else does so, or whether I can share it or not. File size is not a concern on my end as I have a very large SD card that the reader accepts, meaning I can store my entire library and then some, when it comes to stories to read.

I do have some issues with converting line breaks, and those will be issues whether I copy to Word or just edit in the txt file. Even copying a fic straight from the Archive to Word does NOT eliminate the forced line breaks, meaning I have a lot of work to do to make it flow across each line naturally until the paragraph ends. Most saved txt files replace those line breaks with strange boxes, and I can't imagine any program fixing those automatically. If Stanza does, that IS interesting, but it doesn't appear it is a program I can use. Doing a search a little while ago seemed to imply that one had to get it through iTunes, and I don't plan on installing iTunes on my computer for any reason. The best solution would be to work on some sort of macro that would do the editing for me. I'm not so good at setting those up, but with the amount of fics I'd like to have at my fingertips in epub format, I think it would be worth it for me to learn. That might be the subject of a separate post in Off Topic.

Anyway, since I plan on creating epubs for my personal reading anyhow, the real purpose of this post was to ask if the epubs I create this way could be shared somehow, whether anyone would WANT a copy of them, whether it would affect permissions, etc. I mentioned the very small file size because if someone were to host them, small files are always preferred over larger ones. Knowing they take up less room than a txt file (which is, admittedly, smaller than most since it only encodes a byte per character, with no overhead unlike Word's 31 kb overhead) is helpful in that respect.

It is interesting to hear that the fics seem to be very readable to the rest of you as-is. I haven't figured out how that works, unless the forced line breaks are just right so they barely are noticeable. In my case, the screen I read on is somewhere about 2/3 (I think?) of the line, requiring a lot of alternating full lines and short lines of just a couple words. This is distracting and difficult to read, plus it stretches the file out to many more pages, requiring much more frequent page-turning (and I'm already a very quick reader!). This is not ideal, and worth the effort to fix the files, in my opinion.

Thanks for the input so far! laugh

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.