Here's another willing BR checking in. I'm a bit late to the party, and a bit new to it all, but I hope that won't stop people from considering my offer.

Full disclosure: I have never been a beta reader in any fandom before, and as a fiction writer, I'm just entering a stage where I'm willing to show other people my writing.

That said, I have done more than my fair share of proofreading and critiquing other people's writing in other contexts, and that includes academic writing, prose, and even poetry on a few occasions.

My strengths as a beta reader for fiction include:
  • Articulating the way a story makes me feel.
  • Identifying plot holes, inconsistencies, and little tidbits that seem not to fit with the normal behavior of a character as I've come to know him/her in this specific story.
  • Brainstorming story ideas (to incorporate, mangle or discard at the sole discretion of the author).
  • Identifying sentences, or whole segments of the story that don't quite 'sound right', style-wise.

Weaknesses include:
  • The fact that English isn't my first language (in fact, it's my third, but I do spend quite a lot of time reading, writing and communicating in English, and I listen to a lot of English-language radio).
  • My tendency to use a lot of really long sentences in my own writing, which means it's unlikely that I will call you on that if you do it yourself.

I will read and comment on basically any kind of story, as long as you present it to me in digestable portions (up to 10.000 or so words at a time).

If you've made it to the end of this litany, and you still think I might be the person you're looking for, please feel free to PM me, and we'll take it from there.

You can gaze at the stars, but please don't forget about the flowers at your feet.