Request for Beta Reader:

I've just finished my story "Third Son." This is NOT a short story. It is 207 pages. The setting is about 30 years into the future from the L&C TV program. It is based on the 4-part series known among some of you as the "New Krypton Arc." This is the scenario wherein Ching and Zara come to Earth to recruit Clark to go back with them to NK to rule; and wherein Lord Nor and some of his thugs attack Smallville and Metropolis.

Thirty some odd years later, give or take, Lois and Clark Kent have raised three sons to young adulthood: "Jonathan Luke, Lane Clark and Mattew Mark. Jon and Lane were born with super powers like their dad. Mark (He goes by "Mark," not "Matt.") was born perfectly healthy, but he's completely normal. He has Terran, not Kryptonian physiology. This is his story.

This is NOT a Harlequin romance story. Lois and Clark are only bit players in the scenario. There are quite a few military references and there are combat scenes, although comparatively little bloodshed.

There is one fairly intense "torture" scene.

What I am asking for:
1. Grammar, spelling and punctuation and any glaring boo boo's such as word omissions or malapropisms. I've spell checked, grammar checked, read and re-read. And STILL I keep finding errors. I think these grammar glitches must breed like rabbits or like ants. But I hope I've caught most of them. My biggest weakness, I think, is misuse of past perfect tense. Maybe a little help on that might be useful. Some of my grammar, MS Word does not like (the little green squiggly underline, mostly, I think, because of my use of passive voice). You may be like Microsoft and HATE passive voice. But I'm not writing a business letter, so I don't find passive voice all that bad. If it were bad, we wouldn't HAVE passive voice. I don't need a debate about that, but if my wording is weak and could be improved, I'd take ANY suggestions, as long as the beef is not about passive voice PER SE. ;o)

Problems with continuity within the plot: I've really TRIED to "idiot check" this thing, but two heads are better than one. As far as perfect consistency with the TV show or with any of the "ages" in the DC "Superman" legend, I totally give up. You'd need to be a PHD in "comic lore" to stay up with that. All I've tried for here is consistency WITHIN this story.

I would like some just good ole "fdk." The touchy feely kind. How did it make you feel? What about your thoughts?

I'm not really sure that this Clark(Superman) character will be to everyone's liking. That's OK. I'm interested in the why's and wherefores of the likes and dislikes, but I do not expect that this character would be everyone's cup of tea.

As for the main character, "Mark Kent," I'm sure some will NOT like him. He has "issues." I think, in his heart, he is essentially a decent soul. But he's no "boy scout."

I've taken some liberties with the storyline in the L&C TV programs upon which my story is based. The true "purists" might not like that. But I took the liberty to make my story fit. Hey, it's a free country. ;o)

I would imagine this solicitation has run a bit long compared to some, like my story. But I wanted to let anyone who might be inclined to volunteer know what they might be getting into.

I would be happy to e-mail the document to whomever might agree to beta my story. I can send it to you in MS Word .doc or in .pdf format. I'd rather NOT send it as a .txt file. I'd loose my text formatting and I've employed a LOT of italics for emphasis.

Note: there is a brief change of font from Times Roman to Courier New. That is deliberate. That short section is intended to simulate the font employed in the military telecommunications system.

Reply to: TagsNOLA@lycos.com

Thanks in advance.

TagsNOLA