Acting as the voice of harried graphic designers on screaming deadlines all over the world, I would refer you to The Mac is NOT a Typewriter, a neat little book that dispels all of the evil typing techniques that today's modern computers have made obsolete. In fact, the author, Robin Williams, feels so strongly about the one-space rule that she places it as both the Chapter 1 topic and as the first bullet point in the blurb on the back of the book.
Yes, Lynn, I use this book often when I teach my Quark classes. You are absolutely correct. There is no longer a need to double space after a sentence. I'm also a graphic designer. This is considered a big no no in professional design. That doesn't mean that Laura, or any one else for that matter, has to like it or has to use it. I am just surprised that all the people who seem so adamant about proper grammar wouldn't also want to use proper format. I also learned on an old fashioned typewriter. I still find myself making the two space error once in a while. I would be thrilled if a beta fixed this for me. I am not sure why anyone with an open mind to learning new things would feel the need to hold on to something antiquated and no longer needed in typing? However, since I have an open mind myself, it would not personally bother me to read a story that still used double spacing. Once I am lost in the tale, the words disappear altogether.

By the way Robin Williams (female, not the actor) the Peach Pit Press author, is terrific. She also wrote "Beyond the Mac is not a typewritter" and my fovorite book by her is the "Non Designers Design Book".

Laurach

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"