Great article, thanks for sharing it, Laura. thumbsup She pointed out several of my major grammar mistakes, that I am sure I knew the correct answer to in high school, but in my 5 years since taking an English class have somehow gone to the deep, dark recesses of my mind. I bookmarked the site for when I have those questions again!

I agree with Annie's opinion of the author's attitude! And with this . . .

But if you want to be taken seriously - whether you are applying for a job, requesting a raise from your boss, soliciting donations for a charity, etc. - you MUST know how to write properly.
Yes! I agree 100%.

To add to Annie's statement, students, never email your professor/teacher/teaching assistant, the person responsible for your grade, in this fashion:

(real email recieved 2 am, night before final exam)

Yo Laura

i dont no ne thing about ch 2, 6, 23, 25, 26, and 30. Mort's stuff. will they be on the final? plz no.

i need to grub 4 pts w/u on ex. 1, 2, 3. when can i c u?

tnx
(student's name removed)

Needless to say, when we had to determine this student's grade, and he happened to be on the borderline between C and B, he did not get bumped up because of this negative impression he left on me! I was his teaching assistant, not his buddy! There is a clear distinction. And, most importantly, I should not have to translate an email at 2 am!

To me it looked like:

Spanish word for I Laura (oh cool is that like I Claudius?)

Letters and numbers. Hard to read.

Jibberish.

letters.

student's name. Remember it because he fails. Too much work for me.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve