Once I started working in graphic design, it took my Creative Director about two weeks to break me of that habit, and now it is one of my biggest bug-a-boos. Word processors recognize periods and compensate by putting enough space after them that the two spaces are not necessary.

The first thing I do when I GE a story is find and replace all double spacings after periods with one space.
Whoa, Lynn! Leave my double spaces alone, please! Word processors might put extra space after full-stops (although I've just tested this and I can't see the evidence - and it doesn't seem to matter whether you use a proportional or non-proportional font), but text editors don't and the fanfic archive certainly won't because all stories are stored in text format.

That said, I just went and looked at my own stories on the archive, and intriguingly, some have got doubles spaces and some haven't. Generally, it's the earlier stories which do, which leads me to suspect that the method of processing the story after it leaves me has changed, because I still type two spaces when I'm writing.

Hmph! Someone's being stealing my spaces and I didn't even notice! How dare they! <bg>

Yvonne

PS: Hmm...just checked Kidnapped!, my most recent story, and it's got double spaces. Weird.