I always want to say, it's biology, people, get over it.
When I worked at JCPenney, I used to sit in the associates' lounge on my breaks and do the day's crossword puzzle in the paper. The "Dear Abby"-type column was on the same page as the puzzle, with the horoscopes and stuff, so I'd read that too.

Someone wrote in about breast feeding mothers in public, basically complaining about how "inappropriate" it is. I wrote a reply, including a couple of things I'd learned from my psychology class about the benefits of mother's milk versus formula or cow's milk.

I also said something like, "Hungry babies cry. Breast feeding saves time washing dirty bottles, which would probably be a blessing considering how many women lose sleep in the first few months of motherhood. And when the mother's out with the baby, at least if she feeds the baby, it's not screaming because it's hungry--less headache for those around the woman with the hungry baby."

I was pretty smart-alecky, come to think of it--not that I was trying to be, that is. smile

And yes, most of the nursing mothers I've seen have used blankets while breast feeding--to keep their babies (and/or breasts) warm, if not for modesty.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place