John: Thanks for the in-depth comments.
[double party] for early posts.
If I can get through the FDK fast enough, I'll post Part 131 early too.

Lois:Hey, I got my taxes done early, and you were busy.

Reader:I was right Clark would not like this.
What is there for Clark to like? Other than seeing that Lois is alive, that is.

Clark:At least she is not more excited about being seen in public with him than me.
Actually Lois has tried very hard not to be seen with Lex during the course of her investigation, which is one of the reasons she was extra ticked off at Cat for publishing that photo of her and Lex.

That just killed any chance Lois has of convincing Clark she is not dating Luthor and two-timing him.
So, Clark will believe what Lex is saying *here* but not at any other time? That's a bit of a double standard.

CLARK: Lois has her double-standards. I have mine.

Lois:I was not planning to go to the opera when Clark turned me down for a date, again.
That's true. Lois tried to make plans with Clark and only accepted this date with Lex when he rejected her weekend away suggestion.

Clark should find this very strange.
CLARK: eek Did he re-tie in it in the limo? Why had he untied his tie? Is *he* Superman?! No, wait. That's me. <<grabs own head and bashes it against desk so other thoughts don't take over>>

sad that she is ignoring Clark.
Is there anything she could say here to make things better between them?

I guess being dismissive of your lesser makes it easy to be impersonated. You never can be called on not recognizing someone.
Except those he might bump into at the opera, which is why he was told not to leave his box at intermission and interact with as few people as possible.

Hmm, I just noticed this story is almost 100 parts longer than "Once Bitten".
This story started posting much earlier than FH's, plus I'm sure she has more of a RL than I do.

Why bother, she will be gone soon enough. She is much better looking than tax forms.
Because Lex is standing right next to her, and tax forms look much better than *that*.

His hands squeezed into fists, breaking his pencil. It was his fault.
JOHN: At least he admits the truth.
And Lois keeps calling him a lunkhead.

I think you want to say "if he had".
You're right. That *is* what I wanted to say. laugh Fixed.

instead of Clark wanting to incinerate her date.
JOHN: Well, since he is only a clone.
LEX: Hey! Those clones are darn expensive and time consuming to create.

Actually, that wasn’t true. He could blame his partner.
JOHN: No, that is unreasonable.
She could have told Lex "no".

I think he means "claim". either that or she can't deny it is a date.
I changed the sentence around right before posting and missed changing this word. Thanks. Fixed.

I think this is an emotionally more harrowing encounter than it was in canon. Even knowing Lois is not really interested in Lex does not help me feel much better for Clark.
Both incidents were stressful to both Clark for different reasons; this one - more so - yes.

A lot more than Lois is over you Clark. See, you never see Lois moaning with desire for Lex. Only you Clark, only you.
CLARK: wave

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.