“I believe in him,” Lois reminded him.
frown that he does not know that she knows.

I believe in you, Clark, she said with her mind,
She should just wisper this line sub-audbly, so he can hear it, but no one else.

an even larger part of her just couldn’t forget seeing two Lex Luthors and the puzzle it presented her.
I guess the two outfits, with no real time to have changed, make that the most logical conclusion, although how do you have to Lex's? One good thing is if she asks Lois if Lex acted differently, Lois could answer yes, if she is in a mood to cooperate.

“That’s right. The assistant store manager in charge of sporting goods at the new Cost Mart store.”
Clark:At least he does not work at Lexco.

Lex would never have waited an hour and missed the opera for Lois to fix her story.
Actually, he might. If he thinks he can get lucky with her with even a little opera.

Lois:If he thinks that, he is delusional. Only Clark gets lucky with me ever.

he had returned inside the car to wait.
Maybe not as out of character as one might think.

Asabi:Lex sometimes delves into the lady before going to the opera at all.

the likes of which she hadn’t had for the last two months.
shock it's only been two months since Phil? It seems longer. On the other hand, has it really been two months since Phil?

If George was so desperate to reach her before she contacted him, then it was good that he knew her name and where she worked.
I am sure her work number is very public knowledge. Cat needs to make it easy to get contacts.

“Absence only makes the heart grow fonder, George,” she reminded him with a wink.
Clark:Then why does Lois turn to Luthor when I am not around.

As soon as he left, Cat returned to the Daily Planet. She tried the revolving door, but Willie, the night guard, had locked it.
How does she know it was Willie that locked it? Especially if it never gets locked. For all she knows the chief could have been the one to lock it. At first I thought Willie was directly guarding it, but on re-reading I see no evidence of that.

Never before had this door ever been locked.
How does she even know Willie has a key to this door, if it never gets locked.

The rattling of the door drew Willie’s attention from the Information Desk. He waved to her, and called, “Closed for cleaning, Miss Grant.”
OK, so Willie is at the information desk. That does not mean he was the one to lock the door though.

“Luthor!” she heard Clark call out in shock, and she guessed who the man in the navy suit was.
Lois:Ha, Luthor got shot. Serves him right, after shooting me.

Clark was bending over and helping Lex from the floor.
Clark should not endanger his secret by being bold like this. He should just stay back and let Luthor die.

Lex held his left shoulder as Lois ran over and joined them to help him back to the conference room.
frown that Lois is helping Lex in any way, shape or form.

She covered her hand with her mouth. Okay. Gunmen held six people hostage at the Daily Planet. On the plus side, one of the people was Superman. On the negative side, one of the hostages had been shot.
If Lex goes completely out, maybe Clark will reveal who he is to the others and get them out secretly.

Okay, Cat, think, she told herself. How many bad guys had she seen?
at least 5, but they have automatic weapons.

The strange man who had been sitting at her desk, the woman in leather, and least three guys on the floor below the newsroom, made five.
Plus, she should suspect Willie if he claims there is cleaning going on.

Oh, yea. They could save the hostages.
Why, has she lost her mind? They would be mowed down like the British on the Somme when Kitchener's army was all killed in one day.

“No!” Cat yelled, waving her arms. “No! Come back!” But the fire truck was already out of sight.
The firemen are best off leaving. They don't have anything that would do any good against automatic weapons.

John Pack Lambert