That made sense. “Do you have a lead?” Cat asked, leaning forward.
She has strong circumstancial evidence that Luthor was the man behind the whole thing. Not enough to do anything with, but she has it.

“Let’s just say, I have a hunch, but no proof. I’ll need time to infiltrate the organization, earn their trust,
I hope she does not try to go directly though Luthor. He has always tried to present a respectable image to her, so directly contacting him won't really be a good way to get into the organization. I have my doubts that this will work, even with Lois' special memories.

and see what I can find out, which I won’t be able to do if Clark thinks I’m in danger,” Lois told her.
She may have a point here. Although with Clark's memory what it is right now, it is really hard to say how valid a point it is.

Cat wass best friend; her loyalties lay with him.
Good point. I wish Cat would just tell Clark everything about what is happening.

“If they know what we know, then I won’t be able to infiltrate the organization if it gets out that Clark and I are an item.
Wait, isn;t it maybe a bit late for that.

“I need someone with whom I can communicate without raising suspicions,” Lois went on. “I need someone on the outside who knows what I’m doing is just a ruse and that it’s just an undercover operation.”
This is going to tear Clark apart if he does not realize that Lois is only working undercover.

“It needs to be someone who knows and, therefore, understands why I have to do this. Clark trusts you, so if you reassure him that everything’s okay, he’ll believe you.
Maybe, maybe not.

“I need to do this to protect Clark.”
I doubt she does. Still, if she can bring down The BossTM, than things will be good.

There was a bit of old world chauvinism in Clark, not that he’d ever admit to it. Not only was he was the man, he was Superman, therefore it was his job to protect the womenfolk, as well as himself.
This might be a little true, however Cat really does not understand why Clark is so protiective of Lois. His original Lois died, and he feels really bad about it. His parents died, and that tore him up too.

This time, if he interfered, the person, or persons, who had the Kryptonite might hurt him again or worse.
This still might be the case even though the do not know CK=SM.

She couldn’t let that happen, and neither, apparently, could Lois.
Clark was right in thinking he would be toast if Lois and Cat teamed up.

This action ratcheted her up in Cat’s esteem a couple of notches. Lois was willing to look past their differences to ally with Cat and to put herself in possible harm’s way to protect Clark. Lois was okay; not that Cat would ever admit that to anyone, especially Lois.
I am really worried about what this will do to Clark though.

Was Lois planning to dump Clark?
Oh no, this is so going to break his heart.

No, she couldn’t be that stupid.
For his own good, of course. At least this time it will make sense, a little, maybe.

“But don’t they already know that you two are partners here at the Daily Planet?” Cat returned.
Not if Lois quits the DP and goes to work for the Metropolis Star or LNN.

Lois waved her hand through the air. “Okay, fine, I’ll let you know, later, on the particulars.”
This story is going to get even more complexed.

What exactly was Cat getting out of this arrangement? She would remain Clark’s best friend, and the only one who knew in Clark’s mind, other than that couple in Kansas.
Assuming a-Lois can convince him that she does not know ([possilbe), b-Lois can forestall him from telling her (that will be harder, but I expect Lois to succeed, mainly because you have a chance to have Lois know but CK not know Lois knows, and that leads to all sorts of fun I expect you won't pass up) and c-Clark does not remember Carlos, or figure out Henderson knows.

She would also be the one holding his hand when Lois’s plan blew up in her face.
I hope it does not come to that.

“Tell me about that,” Cat said.

“Why? My personal life isn’t fodder for your column.”
Hey, better that than have Cat tell Clark that Lois knows.

He’s extremely secretive, like Clark-secretive, about it.
Clark:Hey, no one doubts that I love Lois.

“One hundred and eighty-six of the most intelligent, young scientific minds
Someone commented they hoped Bernard Klein was not in this bunch. He does not strike me as "young", so I highly doubt it.

in this country
I am somewhat surprised he so limited himself.

“Under the conditions of their acceptance to our little party invitation, they needed to pledge not to reveal to anyone, topside, where they were headed nor mention my name,” Lex said. “I need you to make sure that condition has been met. If it hasn’t, we need to introduce the vitamin tablet into those people’s diets.”
dance Lois knows the truth.

Clark… correction, Superman would be back to the Planet soon.
frown she thinks of him as Superman.

After their kiss a few hours before, he would most likely be expecting Lois to be waiting for him on the roof for that ‘talk’. She took a deep breath and exhaled as she turned towards the elevators. Well, here went everything. She wondered if she would be able to pull it off.
Oh no! I have a real bad feeling about what is going to happen. I really hope Superman just tells her he is Clark, so she can't claim that she does not know, but I just know that is not what is going to happen.

John Pack Lambert