Lois pressed a damp washcloth to Clark’s eyebrow. “Oh, stop being such a baby, Chuck. It’s just a scratch,” she told him.
Well, it could be worse. Maybe. Still I think frown is what we should have.

“A scratch I wouldn’t have if you hadn’t let go of that branch, flinging it in my face,” he retorted.
Clark, that is not fair. You wouldn't have the scatch if Martha had not opened the box. That is not Lois' fault. Or maybe if you had been wise and asked Martha to describe what was in the box first. But no, you just had to go and let her open it, without thinking.

“I thought you had it,” she lied, hiding a small satisfied smile. “I told you to stay here.”
It sounds to me like she intentionally got him scatched. Clark you should be yelling help

“Stop it, Jerome,” she scolded, using his pathetic undercover name. “You’re only making it worse.”
Well, at least she is cooperating with his undercover identity. grumble

“Why do you love this town so much, again?” she asked, setting her hand on his.
Well, at least now she is asking questions that cut to the core of the issue.

He shrugged. “It’s the closest place to a home that I have.”
He was 100% truthful. This is more of a home to him than his deminsions Smallville. In part because this Smallville did not reject him.

Lois thought about his apartment back in Metropolis, and how it had hardly any personal touches. “Who are the Kents to you? How are you related?”
He is making a little progress.

“It’s hard to explain,” he murmured, his thumb moving back and forth across the back of her hand.
Well, things could be worse. Still, why does he hold back so. I guess I know but still.

“Officially, you’re as related to them as I am. I was a foundling, remember. My folks took me in, loved me, and cared for me as if I was their own, but I wasn’t. I don’t have any real relatives of my own,” Clark said quietly. “The only family I have are those who accept me, and love me by choice.”
The frustrating thing is that no matter how much Clark tells her truths, they do not add up.

“And the Kents didn’t do that? Why?” Lois pressed.
They didn't know he existed.

Clark: How can I tell her without maligning good people like the Kents. This is so hard. whinging Clark has lost her. Except I don't believe it. I don't believe it at all.

Clark nodded. “And that’s why I can’t tell you everything,” he replied, picking up his valise and exiting the bedroom.
I think it is the reverse. Regaining her needs to be built on trusting and telling her. I was hoping that Lois would not let him go there, but I guess she did. I think they both need time to think about what was said, although I really wonder if they will.

John Pack Lambert