Lex shut the file that his very personal executive assistant had prepared for him. “This will do, Mrs. Cox.”
This is why Lois should not have given Luthor any indication of what she was interested in learning.

Mrs. Cox set her hand on his. “Lex, I usually have lunch with you at The Top of the Towers.”
I am surprised she can expect this consistency considering how many women Lex has lunch with.

“This is strictly business, my dear. A means to an end, I assure you,” he said. What he didn’t mention was that she was also that – strictly business. All his liaisons were, only Mrs. Cox didn’t know that he had lumped her in with the others.
Why his failure to tell Mrs. Cox matter is hard to say. Doen't she see that he treats everybody as a way to advance his own goals.

He glanced up to see Lois Lane being led towards him. Case in point. Superman’s emotional connection to this woman was his weakness.
If Clark knew this would he just go all the way as Superman. Since the most evil person on earth already thinks Lois has a connection with Superman, he is not protecting her by trying to prevent it from happening.

Mrs. Cox stood up and let go of his hand, letting it linger there long enough for Lois to catch sight of it.
At first I wondered why Lois does not clue into this fact. However by the end of this section I knew why. She feels no romantic attachment to Luthor, and assumes that he is just friendly, so she is not watching for signs of cheating.

Lex stood up and held out a hand to Lois. “Hello, Lois,” he said, remembering what she had said to him about endearments.
I hate Lex more because he remembers such things. On the other hand, why does not Lois clue into the fact that if he can remember to not use endearments, he knew what was implied by his flowers, and she should not accept any claim of ignorance from him.

“Thank you, Lex,” Lois replied, stiffening a bit at his kiss, before sitting down.
Well she should, since she just kissed Clark last night. Clark has every right to feel cheated by her having this romatic lunch with Luthor, a lunch he could never afford to give her.

“I appreciate you meeting with me,” she said.
Sometimes Lois seems to naive to live. This is not a meeting, it is a date.

“Please…” She paused a moment as if making a decision. “No matter how many red roses you send me, Lex, you’ll never be able to buy my affection.”
Why is she so polite to Luthor. She always seems very rude to Clark. OK, maybe not that rude, but it still seems she shows patience with Luthor that he in no way deserves. Clark cares for her, Luthor shoots her, but Clark is the only one who is ever the victim of her rage. It just seems so unfair.

“Oh, how gauche of me, Lois. I didn’t realize…”
Why she does not see he is lieing through his teeth is beyond me. Luthor is sophiticated and well versed in the ways of the world. She should never accept these claims of ignorance of implication from him, ever.

“That’s not necessary, Lex,” Lois reassured him. “I’ve moved forward, past it. I hope we can remain friends, though.”
Why does she even want to be his friend? What she should have said is "No, that is not happening. If I ever get another rose from you, ever, I will never speak with you again." It is not like he ever tells her anything useful in the attempted interviews, just manipulates her.

[Qupte]Ah, he had made progress since he shot her.[/Quote]

Actually, no. She has always been a defender of Lex and him being the good guy. It still does not make sense that she ever does good as a reporter when she is so willing to assume good intent on the part of people who refuse to repsect the fact that some people prefer some things to dates with suave billionares.

Lois nodded, accepting this explanation.
Why is Lois so believing. How did she ever get anywhere as a hjournalist if she believes every word fed to her. OK, maybe I am giving her too little slack. However she seems awfully willing to not try to get to the bottom of who was spying on her.

Clark was in a near panic when he had returned to the office to find that Lois had gone off without even leaving him a note as to where.
When will he learn that he can't put her on a leash.

Their first date had gone well, so he had thought. Why was she now simpering for Luthor again?
Considering all her previous dates with Luthor were to make him jealous this is a perfectly good question. OK, at some level I just hate Luthor that much. Still, Lois is the one being cruel, while Clark is sinerely trying to protect her. His methods might not be the best, but his intentions are in the right place, which I can not say for Lois. The fact that she does not admit to going to lunch with Luthor upfront shows she knows that it was not consistent with her relationship with Clark.

Actually, considering that she had admitted that she thought the murder was connected to her stalkers, she should have given Clark a note to let him know where she was. To not do so was rude and cruel, even if she does not understand why he is so afrai of her dieing.

“You told Lois to ‘stay’?” his boss asked with a slight chuckle. “Kent, Mad Dogs don’t ‘stay’. Ever. And they most certainly don’t ‘stay’ when they’re feeling vulnerable, they attack, and then they run!”
Perry actually does give very good advice here.

“A credit that I earned!” Clark said, pointing at the Chief. He skipped the details about how he had earned the award by saving both Lois and Jimmy from the hanger. “She should’ve asked me to be her date for the awards. Was that too much to ask? To at least attend the ceremony?”
I think he is 100% correct.

Perry set his jaw in the palm of his hand. “Actually, I believe she made a very valid point, even if it was poorly executed. Jimmy worked hard on the Messenger story too. You should be happy for the kid that Lois remembered his contribution at all.”
Rubbish, Lois only remembered that as a way to further marginalize and denigrate Clark. The way she did it was cruel to both Clark and Jimmy, especially since it worked to potentially undermine their ability to be friends.

“I agree that all three of us should go,” Clark conceded.
pleading his case with Lois would be like arguing with a brick wall.
Clark should realize this is not true. She does listen to him.

“Do you think you could find someone willing to help celebrate this honor for the Daily Planet with you?”
If Clark brings Cat this will be worse than not going to the Kerth ceremony at all. More on this latter on, but I tink Clark should decline the tickets. Maybe I underestimate the value of the Kerth ceremony, but going and not with Lois just seems worse than not going at all.

“I happen to know just the person to invite,” Clark said with a sly smile, sliding the tickets into his inside breast pocket. “Thank you, sir.”
I think this is Clark's stupidest move yet.

Cat came up to his desk. “What’s the matter, honey. Mad Dog got you down?” she asked.
Perosnally I think Clark would be better off refusing to talk to Cat at all about this. He needs to listen to Perry more and see the more he interacts with Cat the more he turns off Lois.

He rolled his eyes.
If he had half a brain he would have told Cat "on second thought, I am not talking to you at all, until you learn to act like an adult and treat me as an intelligent person and not just a potential conquest."

He pressed his lips together. Very funny. “They weren’t kissing,” he snapped.
This is the one worthwhile thing Clark actually got out of the discussion with Cat, the admission to himself that Lois and Luthor were not kissing. Still, I think he would have been better off not talking to her.

Cat applauded, kissing his cheek. “About time! That man deserves to be smeared on a wall.”

“Asked? You didn’t ask, you demanded, ordered me like a dog. I’m no dog, Chuck. One date doesn’t make you my master, and doesn’t give you the right to tell me what to do!”
I would agree with her here, and that Clark did not even try to phrase his statment in a respectful manner.

I ssked you to stay here for your protection,”[Quote]

No, I think he should have tried a diffrerent tack. He should have said "I had a friend who reminds me of you die on an investigation, whenever we get close to something that is threatening, I get really scared. I know it is irrational, but I get scared a lot". OK, maybe thinking he would even try saying this, especially if he thinks Lois was turned off by his crying is a bit much, but I still think he should at least try to bring up this issue.

[Quote]“Protection?!” she snarled. “My stalker was over last month, Clark. I’m fine. I walk around town all the time by myself. Nobody is after me anymore.”
I think that she got over the stalker thing unreasonably fast.

“We don’t know that,” he countered. “According to Brigitte Kahn, her sister was dating someone high up at LexCorp.” The words slipped out before he could stop them.
This was probably the worst point to bring it up. It is so frustrating that Clark is speaking the truth, but Lois refuses to believe him. She is so pig headed. I can understand why she is not going to accept this assement of Lex, still I wish he would have waited on the issue. I also wish that Lois would at least acknowledge that he is being consistent. Also, since she has read how bruttaly Monique was murdered, she should be willing to accept that there is some thgreat to her.

She scoffed with a shake of her head. “Well, it wasn’t him. He’s never met Ms. Kahn.”
Why is she so willing to believe what Luthor says? She knows Luthor tried to coax her into his apartments, she knows that she is being less than truthful to Clark about his full intentions in buying her off, and she knows she lies all the time, so why does she accept every claim of Luthor at face value.

“Our story, Chuck!” Lois said,
Which still means he has a right to know the way she gets her information.

“What’s with the third degree, Clark?”
He asked if they could go some place together, that does not sound like the third degree to me.

“I thought we were done playing games,” he said.
He is 100% right. Lois is intentionally trying to make him jealous at this point, he is not.

“We’re only friends. We’ll only ever be friends. I’m not going to give up my friendship with Cat because it makes you uncomfortable. Either you trust me, or you don’t.”
Perosnally I think that Lois should say either here or a bit later "Clark, I trust you, I don't trust Cat. So either you stop hanging around with her, or we end our relationship." I do not think she should trust him around Cat, Cat is not trustable.

He turned on his heel and left the office, his aloofness used up for the day.
At some level I am most frustrated with this instalment because we stopped with Clark at this point. Even though Lois does seem to come to be at least a little better disposed for him, Clark is still quite anquished, and I was wanting to move forward with the L and C relationship, and that meant seeing both of them. They spent all their time interacting fighting.

Before she had left the restaurant, Lex had asked how her investigation on Clark’s past was going.
I still do not see why Lois accepts that Luthor has any right to investigate Clark Kent. He is not an employee of LexCopr, he is a private citizen. She should be much more suspicious of this action on Luthor's part than she is. He is a businessman, not an investigative reporter. His total lack of respect for others privacy should be raising all sorts of red flags.

“You aren’t acting like partners. You threw it in his face that he wasn’t nominated for a Kerth, when you were,” Perry explained. “And then refused to even let him share in your glory as your date.”
I am glad Perry called Lois on her rude behavior.

Clark thought Lex was her stalker? Well, that explained his paranoia.
At least she is begging to understand. Perry is very good at drilling sense into people's heads.

I like working with Clark,
Well, it is good that Lois can admit this to herself. Maybe things are looking up more than I think.

Lois exhaled in relief. Clark did exist.
I shocked she does not consider that maybe the professor is in on some grand scam.

“Clark trusts me enough for the both of us,” she replied with a grin.
Well, at least she 100% accepts that Clark believes her statments about what was going on between her and Luthor.

I am hoping that the next installment will have at least a few scenes of Clark and Lois interacting in a way that is not argument. I am not holding my breath though.

John Pack Lambert