Sometimes people who have brain problems after trauma are not able to take repsonsibility for their actions - they need professional help to get to the stage where they are able to act.
Carol, I would assume that you are referring to people suffering mental or emotional impairments, who would require the care of doctors, psychologists, social workers, etc. to help them function in society. I certainly agree with that.

But Lois could function. Just as before, she doggedly pursued her stories. She used sources, and wasn't afraid to step on someone's toes in the pursuit of that story. However, now all of that was heightened. Before we would have described her as determined and single-minded, and meant those as positive attributes. Before when she stole Clark's story she was full of remorse, even though she would not admit that to him. Here she's stealing stories from reporters without a second thought. Now she's including data in published stories that endanger lives in a military operation.

It's a personality change, not an impairment of intelligence. She can lead her life without anyone's help, but it is a life without feeling, filled with calculation. And she doesn't want help from anyone - she has refused countless offers of help. She has free will - they haven't been able to force her to seek help up until this point. I'm not sure what the final straw would be.

I truly don't think that Clark has absolved himself of responsibility. I don't think he ever will, but I don't know what else he could do at this point. Lois refuses help - she doesn't think anything is wrong with her. Which was one of the most poignant parts of this story - we all mourned the loss of Lois, but she didn't...

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5