In my ideal church/state government, the people who didn't believe anything or followed a different religion would follow Christian principals. I say again, not the Old Testament law, but what Jesus teaches. This I think, regardless, of what religion you practiced, would be a good thing. I mean, who doesn't want forgiveness, giving, faith, hope, love, honesty, generosity, etc. etc. shown and instilled by their government?
But the very claiming of these values for Christianity, as opposed to any other religion, is itself offensive and a very good reason to keep religion (call it religion or call it Christianity; the latter is merely one branch of the former) out of politics. Yes, the values themselves are good, but don't Jews or Hindus or Rastafarians or Muslims also believe in those values? What about secularism? These are general values, not by definition attached to any religion.

And bring religion into the mix and you have politicians arguing that their own branch of private morality must be law. Alternative sexualities, even divorce or minority rights: all of these issues get decided on the basis of religious beliefs that may not be shared by the whole population. Be opposed to homosexuality on a personal level if that's what you believe; just don't turn that belief into a set of political principles. I looked up Fred Thompson's website, looking for his political position, and was horrified to discover references to 'sodomy'. I have gay friends and colleagues, some of whom have been with their partners ten years and more, and, sorry, I don't want to see them referred to as 'sodomites'.

I've left abortion out of the above list because it's not an issue of private morality; however, it's also something that tends to be debated and decided on the basis of religious beliefs and is likely to lead to disagreement on the same basis.

Incidentally, just so it's clear where I'm coming from, I was brought up staunchly Episcopalian; went to church faithfully every week and often more than once (in college daily), but gradually became disillusioned as teachings of the mainstream church diverged from my own sense of right and wrong (for example, on gender and other equalities), and as increasingly I see religion used to justify actions I don't support. I'm not at all anti-faith; I just prefer to see it as part of personal lives and kept out of politics.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*