My impression has pretty much been that if you call it Elseworld, don't give Lois a kid named Jason, and don't blatantly come out and say that it is based on a different Superman, then you can write whatever you want as long as the basic characters and relationships are there.
Oh, boy... I wonder if anyone ever gave Lois a kid named Jason before SR came out? I remember a lot of Jons, CJs, and Laras, or some play on Martha's name, but no Jasons.

Arawn, what the heck is fanwanking?
Ah, and the wiki answer... Hmm... Kind of like folks trying to read more into the Beatle's Strawberry Fields and other songs, when they were probably meant to be nothing more than nonsense...

Homer is ecstatic. <g> You just have to mention the word snow to him and he grabs for his nearest toy and goes ape.
Aw, that's just so cute.

I’d say a number of canonical elements, ignore or twist enough of them and sooner or later depending on the reader, he/she wont consider it L&C fanfic anymore.
I think that depends on the reader, Arawn. Some people won't tolerate little deviances. Some will tolerate huge deviances.

If someone writes a story about Harry Potter, reuses the plot element of the L&C pilot and wan’ts call it a L&C fanfic, it’s no skin of my nose, but I assume that that such a expression of creativity would be a hard sale to the archive administration.
Somebody tried something similar on Zoom's board. The story was yanked and my understanding is that the original author was pretty miffed. (Thank goodness no one made any money because of the plagiarized story.)

We are never all going to see the characters in exactly the same way, so some varation on characterisation is a given and generally accepted.
Thank you, LabRat!

Interesting point about OOC. I can see a character doing one thing OOC because we all sometimes do things and wonder what the heck we were thinking because normally we would never have done that. But if everything is OOC then I won't read the story.

I think, generally speaking, that the majority concensus on characterisation is more usually the norm than any gross deviation. We're more together on how we see the characters than apart.
Yes, LabRat, I think you're right!!

I think, generally speaking, that the majority concensus on characterisation is more usually the norm than any gross deviation. We're more together on how we see the characters than apart.
You said it better than I did, Kathy!

The whole "punishing" Lois though kinda disturbs me; the idea of writing a fic with punishment in mind is...curious.
Are there really a lot of writers that do that? I can only think of one story that might have had that in mind. I know writers have been accused of that, but how many have actually done that with that very intent?

Most of us aren't trying to impose our opinion on anyone, we just want to make it understandable. The best end to that is everyone saying "Okay, I see what you mean. I still don't see it that way, but I can see how you would."
Well said, Pam.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~