I'm pretty sure I was getting fanfic emails way back then and so there were actually a lot more stories that could be the first one. (Of course I could be wrong about this but I'm not thinking of the collections but the individual stories in emails? Who did that?)
Rhen Brink handled the fanfic list as I recall -- there was no discussion, but new stories were sent out to everyone automatically. Sometimes in many parts, 'cause none of the parts could be more than 20k smile I remember working with Chris Mulder to break "Meet Me in Kansas City" down into ~20k chunks. There were more than 30 of them, as I recall. Chris was convinced that Rhen would kill her <g>

Then the stories were archived by the list majordomo server (I do not know what that means wink but I remember the term, and more or less how it worked), and you could get index files to list the stories already available. You'd e-mail the majordomo server with specific commands, and it would automatically send you the files you'd requested. I still remember being giddy with delight when I'd get the files back almost instantly smile

It was our theory that the flunky in Tempus, Anyone? who was called "Major Domo" was an homage of sorts to our fanfic list smile

ah, good times...

PJ cool
p.s., thanks, Artemis! blush

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K