John Connolly is in my top three favourite thriller authors list (along with Lee Child and Robert Crais), so I've been looking forward to reading the next two in his Charlie Parker series for some time.

The Whisperers

A worthy addition to the series with lots of Connolly's trademark spookiness. I understand there's been a lot of debate among readers as to whether his books should be classed as thrillers or horror. I say both. Creepy as any horror novel with a generous dose of maverick detective/thriller and witty dialogue thrown in. As a mix it works for me and I don't see the need to pigeonhole it.

My only twin disappointments with this one were that Parker's cohorts, the retired hitman Louis and his partner the ex-thief Angel were barely to be seen (I miss them) and a villain death cribbed almost wholesale from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Just started the next in the series - The Burning Soul which has had an intriguing start....

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers